Tuesday, January 18, 2005

ooops i did it again

So I return to Tanzania happy to see the beautiful summer westher and near forty degree heat !!! After the freezing temperatures it was a refreshing change !
I had almost forgotten the heat and the stampede of downtown Dar not that they are polite in ireland i guess they just dont have the colourful noisiness of the Darians .
Even at the airport i was greeted by the freindly shouts of Mambo and Jambo !!No i have continued any study of the swahili language each day i try to find someone to teach me another new word. Yesterday it was Habairi's response Mizuri but what does Mizuri mean ?? I still wonder the gentleman who thought me this word a porter at my hotel lackced the english to explain it . So now i have a new word without any clue as to its meaning . Answers on a postcard please... .
Todays word came along as I drove down samora and someone walked in front of the cab .Kee Cha my driver screamed and explained this time , Crazy !! He also mentioned how the sun sometimes had this effect on people...good to know in the land of eternal sun .
More Tales of Taxis yesterday i picked one up and threw a calender for 2005 of the offcie i had just visited in the back . I got the driver to wait at my next stop the EU Commission however when i came ot i found him arguing emphatically with two unifromed men and shaking my calender around !!
i decided the best course of action was to gnore the ongoing arguement and seat myself down .After a minute he joined me flinging the calender in the bakc. i was silent as he seemed to curse in swahili ( im not fluent but you get the idea of swearing doesnt matter what the language !! )
Seemingly the guards were protecting the taxi area and thought he had strayed onto their patch to pick up customers whereas he had in fact picked me up downtown where the calendar was addressed , he was proving his innocence.

1 Comments:

Blogger Earhart said...

Good to hear you're still alive. Taxi drivers are mental!

January 21, 2005 at 1:20:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home